WELCOME TO ICIVICS ARIZONA
iCivics Arizona is a program of the Arizona Supreme Court and the Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education. The purpose of iCivics Arizona is to expand the use of iCivics.org throughout Arizona to encourage the development of informed active citizens.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN ICIVICS ARIZONA
When participating in the iCivics Arizona program, teachers are able to record their classroom participation online and students are able to receive a free McDonald’s Smoothie Coupon (sponsored by McDonald’s) for every 200 minutes they spend on the iCivics web site playing the fun and educational games! This tracking of minutes, automatically enters classrooms to participate in the iCivics Arizona Statewide Competition!!!
STEPS FOR PARTICIPATING
- Teachers introduce your students to iCivics.org
- Students play the games and track their participation by utilizing the downloadable form and submit to their teacher
- Teachers compile the total minutes of their students and request free McDonald’s Smoothies
- Teachers complete iCivics Arizona Demographic Information Form at the end of the school year
FREE MCDONALD’S FRUIT SMOOTHIES AVAILABLE
To receive free McDonald’s Fruit Smoothies for your students participating in the iCivics Arizona Program, teachers can distribute the Student iCivics ArizonaTracking Form to their students or track in an equivalent manner. Participating students shall:
- Track their time spent on www.iCivics.org playing the iCivics games
- If utilizing the downloadable form above (Student iCivics Arizona Tracking Form), parent/guardian or teacher must initial the form. Students submit the form to their teacher once they have completed the 200 minutes (must be on the site at a minimum of 10 times for 20 minute intervals)
- Teachers compile the total minutes of their students, submit the information for each classroom by utilizing the McDonald’s Fruit Smoothie Request & Tracking Form - Online
- Free McDonald’s Smoothie Coupons will be mailed within 2-3 weeks from the original date of submission
- The last date of submission to receive free McDonald's Smoothie Coupons is June 30, 2015
iCIVICS ARIZONA COMPETITION
By tracking student participation through the McDonald’s Fruit Smoothie, teachers are automatically entered into the statewide iCivics Arizona Competition with a chance to receive a prize (valued at $250) and a pizza party for their classroom. We will host 3 rounds of competition. In each round, the top 3 teachers* whose classroom has the most minutes played will win a $250 Amazon.com gift card as well as a pizza party for their winning class. We will award a grand prize of a $500 Amazon gift card and a pizza party to the teacher whose classroom has the most minutes played for the year. The competition rounds are below:
- Round 1: September 1 - November 26 (all smoothie requests must be submitted online by November 26th)
- Round 2: December 1 - February 2 (all smoothie requests must be submitted online by February 2nd)
- Round 3: February 3 - April 2 (all smoothie requests must be submitted online by April 2nd)
*One prize is limited per teacher for one classroom each round. A teacher may win multiple rounds and the annual award.
For Competition Rules, please click here – (PDF).
CALLING ALL 5th - 9th GRADE EDUCATORS ...
Would you like to receive a $150 Amazon.com giftcard for serving as an iCivics Arizona site? Email the Foundation's Professional Development Manager by September 15th, 2014 to inform the Foundation of your interest in serving as an iCivics Arizona site (space is limited to 30 sites). Once approved...
- Encourage student participation of game play on iCivics.org
- Implement lessons from the ‘Teacher’ section of iCivics.org
- Participate in iCivics Arizona Competition & distribute McDonald’s Smoothie Coupons to students
- Have students complete the online Student Feedback Survey following completion of the above
- Complete the online Demographic Information Form for students who participated in the iCivics Arizona program at the completion of the program
- Student iCivics Arizona Tracking Form - PDF
- McDonald’s Fruit Smoothie Request & Tracking Form - Online
- Alignment to Arizona State Standards - PDF
- Competition Rules - PDF
- Student Feedback Form - Online
- iCivics Arizona Implementation & Demographic Information Form - Online
If yes, please contact the Foundation's Professional Development Manager
WHAT IS ICIVICS?
iCivics (www.iCivics.org) is a web-based education project designed to teach students civics and inspire them to be active participants in our democracy. iCivics is the vision of Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, who wants to assist in getting students the information and tools they need for civic participation, and to assure civics teachers have easy access to materials and support.
iCivics, a free resource for teachers and students, has ready to use standards based lesson plans which have been aligned to Arizona State Standards. The lesson plans take very little effort on the part of the teacher and the games are fun and engaging for students. Teachers can also utilize the site to create discussion forums and track content for student completion.
THANKS TO OUR SUPPORTERS OF THIS PROJECT: